Saturday, September 19, 2009

it's my own fault I'm bored

So here I sit in the waiting area of the local tire place, waiting for them to repair my second nail-in-a-tire in two weeks. And I'm bored. Oh, I've got my 2-1/2-year-old grandson with me, and he's finding all sorts of things to look at. And dirt...lots of dirt! Tire stores are not exactly the cleanest places in town. But I sure wish I'd thought to grab my applique before handing over my keys!

Applique is awesome! It's so portable. I almost always have a project handy.

Not long ago I found a really cool zippered binder at Office Depot. It has two sets of rings, several inserts, and lots of pockets. OK, the lining is ORANGE, but it's pretty cool! Hand strap and shoulder strap. Looks like a laptop case. It's nice to be able to take my projects with me, and work on a bit of stitching while I wait, for just about anything.

People often ask me how I get so much done...and that's how. Applique is PORTABLE. I used to take applique in a sandwich bag, in my jacket pocket. I embarassed my kids by appliqueing in line at the post office. I'd sit in the car waiting for them after school and stitch a leaf or two. And things got done! I love the many intermediate completions involved in doing applique -- a leaf, a whole flower, a whole block, a whole quilt top!

So while I've been sitting here waiting for them to pull the second nail out of a tire in as many weeks (ok, so the first one was really a screw), I've shared one of the first things I tell people about why I love to applique. So the time isn't really wasted and, now that I think about it, I'm not REALL bored. I just wish I'd remembered to grab my applique off the back seat!

No comments:

Post a Comment